Monday, March 2, 2009

Letter from the National Champ

March 3, 2009

Chairperson : Barbara Flynn Currie
Republican Spokesperson : William B. Black
Member: Lou Lang
Member: Timothy L. Schmitz
Member: Arthur L. Turner

Dear members of the 96th General Assembly Rules Committee:

I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Patrick Smage. I'm 18 years old. I'd like to share with you my feelings about banning motorcycles and ATV to youths under 16 years old, for riding off the highways and roads in Illinois. I have had some of my fondest memories riding my dirt-bike when I was a kid. If I didn't have the opportunity to ride as a youth, I would not be anywhere near where I am today. 

I remember back when I was 11 years old, riding the American Motorcyclist Association Youth National Championships in Tennessee. I finished second by the closest of margins. I was disappointed. But later that night, I ran into Ryan Young, the importer of the bike I rode, and still do. He told me to stop by his pits the next day. He had something for me. I remember the feeling I got after he told me to keep practicing everyday after school and you'll win. That gave me the drive to practice and train real hard. Everyday. The next year I won the AMA Youth Championship. 

The AMA Youth program and riding when I was under 16 has not only made me a better rider, but a better person. I have traveled and competed around the world for the United States banner, in the Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme (FIM) World Championship.

Without learning to ride properly under 16, this would never have been possible for me to achieve.

Since then, the youth motorcycle program had developed thousands and thousands of kids like me. Not all are champions. But we have something to do to keep us off the streets and out of trouble. Riding our dirt-bikes off the road. Not all of us kids play tennis, football, basketball, soccer and baseball.

Without having dirt-bikes to ride as a young kid, there is no way I would have been able to become National Champion. Or have anywhere near the life experiences that's enriched my mind and soul. I owe it all to the AMA Youth Racing program and riding my off-highway motorcycle, as you call it. To deny the kids under 16 years old the chance to dream a dream and possibly become a national champion like I have earned, is denying a kid a chance to succeed in life. 

Please vote no on llinois House bill 3914 with any wording to ban youth under 16 from riding off -highway motorcycles or ATV's.

Respectfully,

Patrick Smage - 18 years old
American Motorcyclist Association Member since 2000
2003 AMA Youth National Champion at 12 years old.
2004 AMA Expert/Sportsman Champion at 14 years old.
2007 AMA Pro Class Champion at 17 years old.
2007 AMA Sports Athlete of the Year.
2008 AMA Pro Class Champion at 18 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment